Cold has not stopped girls’ basketball’s hot start

Chris Olszewski, Staff Reporter

Despite the cold snaps which, according to Coach Dallas Till, “made us start over with conditioning”, the RB girls’ basketball team got right back to work after the extended holiday break, defeating the Westmont Sentinels 63-46 on January 8, on the back on strong performances by freshman duo Samantha Bloom and Dana Rettke, with 13 points and 12 points respectively. 14 different players contributed points, with senior Caroline Waas and junior Janae Dabney providing defensive help.

Getting back into conference play, the lady Bulldogs defeated the Fenton Bison on January 14 by a score of 67-33.  Samantha Bloom picked up 22 points, and sunk four three-pointers in the first half alone. Junior Angela Comicho contributed a further 10, and Dana Rettke and Janae Dabney controlled the paint and combined for 15 points.

On January 23, the Bulldogs defeated the Timothy Christian Trojans 53-33 on the back on another great performance by Samantha Bloom, who chipped in with 14 points,  with another 10 Bulldogs scoring. Rachael Malloy scored all of her six points in the fourth quarter to help seal the deal.  Janae Dabney and freshmen Dana Rettke and Lyndsey Boyd also scored six.   This brings the girls’ varsity record to 19-4 overall and 6 -1 in conference play.

Coach Dallas Till also remarked that these wins boosted the girls’ confidence ahead of Tuesday’s game against the Glenbard South Raiders.

“The girls are excited to get retribution for our loss (to Glenbard) earlier in the year,” Till said.

Chris Olszewski, Opinion Editor

Chris Olszewski is nothing if not a walking contradiction. Though he prefers being a lone wolf, he always enjoys good company. If there is one thing Chris Olszewski is good at, it’s worrying too much. If there is one thing he is not good at, it’s worrying about things other people think he should worry about. He’s him. Not them. And he does not care. This nonchalance works in his favor on occasion.

Chris is an award-winning journalist and movie buff (these went hand in hand). He loves playing games (although he takes frequent breaks in between matches of Smite or Counter Strike) and enjoys being around his friends. He does not appear much in public, and an (inter)view deep into his psyche is an opportunity few receive. Willingly, anyway. He loves to talk.

He can be contacted at [email protected]