Girls’ water polo on a roll

Chris Olszewski, Staff Reporter

The girls’ water polo team is off to a scorching hot start to their season, winning all but one of their non-invite games. On March 12, the Bulldogs defeated rival Morton 8-7, with Hannah Flynn leading all Bulldogs with  three goals. The Bulldogs played eight games over the next seven days, splitting that stretch. The girls beat Richards 7-2 on St. Patrick’s Day, with junior Lucia Adami and sophomore Keri Burke coming away with two goals each. On March 18, the team beat Stagg by a score of 9-1, with eight different players scoring for the Bulldogs, and goalies Amy Frey and Abby Schwartz blocking nine shots a piece.

On March 19, the Bulldogs defeated Lockport by a score of 4-1, with senior Dana Callahan scoring two goals. On March 20, the Bulldogs  began a five-game skid against Argo, losing 11-10. At the Naperville North tourney, the ladies were crushed, losing the first game of the tourney 17-3 to Loyola, losing their second game of the tourney 15-2 to Neuqua Valley, and capping off the tourney with a loss to hosts Naperville North by a score of 7-3.

The losses ended (temporarily) with the tourney for the ladies, with the Bulldogs defeating Resurrection 9-2 on March 25, with Hannah Flynn, Catie Kartje, and Sydney Veon each scoring 2 goals.  The next day, the Bulldogs defeated Hinsdale South 14-5 to have another win under the belt going into the Lincoln-Way tournament. The momentum didn’t matter much, as the girls lost all three games they played in the tournament.

In the first game, the team lost to hosts Lincoln-Way East 19-4, with Lucia Adami, Sydney Veon, and Destiny O’Day scoring goals for the Bulldogs. The bleeding didn’t stop in the second game of the tournament, where the Bulldogs lost to Lincoln-Way West 14-8. In the final game of the tournament, the Bulldogs lost to Richards 10-8 despite both Sydney Veon and Hannah Flynn scoring three goals each. In their first post-tourney game, the Bulldogs beat Lincoln-Way East 14-8, bringing their current record to 7-7 overall. As to their rather clean split of wins and losses.

Lucia Adami said,”It’s hard…playing teams that were ranked in the (top 15) in state in the tourneys.”

Chris Olszewski, Opinion Editor

Chris Olszewski is nothing if not a walking contradiction. Though he prefers being a lone wolf, he always enjoys good company. If there is one thing Chris Olszewski is good at, it’s worrying too much. If there is one thing he is not good at, it’s worrying about things other people think he should worry about. He’s him. Not them. And he does not care. This nonchalance works in his favor on occasion.

Chris is an award-winning journalist and movie buff (these went hand in hand). He loves playing games (although he takes frequent breaks in between matches of Smite or Counter Strike) and enjoys being around his friends. He does not appear much in public, and an (inter)view deep into his psyche is an opportunity few receive. Willingly, anyway. He loves to talk.

He can be contacted at [email protected]