Band room flood damages instruments

Two heavy duty fans work to dry out music lockers.  Lockers and instruments were damaged when a pipe burst, flooding the area.  The flood occurred the first weekend back from Winter Break.

Jimmy Nolter

Two heavy duty fans work to dry out music lockers. Lockers and instruments were damaged when a pipe burst, flooding the area. The flood occurred the first weekend back from Winter Break.

Jimmy Nolter and Nick Rogoz

A defective valve led to a burst hot water pipe in the ceiling of the foyer outside the band and choir rooms on Saturday, January 9, flooding the area and damaging lockers and instruments.  When the valve did not shut properly, too much pressure resulted, blowing out several screws and spilling boiling water into the area.

Most instruments stored in the lockers were unharmed, but a few instruments were damaged.

“The pads on my saxophone were damaged pretty badly and I sent it in to get fixed,” Senior Stuart Marciniak said.

Initially, students were concerned about how to pay for their damaged instruments.

Sophomore Andy Garcia said, “I hope they pay for my guitar.”

Ultimately, the school’s insurance will cover repairs for damaged instruments.  In an e-mail, Principal Kristin Smetana indicated that students filled out insurance forms to make claims for the instruments.

“The school has insurance to cover things like this,” Smetana said.

At present, students have moved their instruments from damaged lockers to other lockers in the foyer until the original lockers have been fixed.  Students whose instruments were damaged expect to have their instruments returned within a few weeks, at which point they will be able to resume full participation in band and orchestra.

Jimmy Nolter, Staff Reporter
Jimmy is currently a Senior at RB, and participates only in Clarion.  Jimmy played football Freshmen and Sophomore year, but decided to run cross country last year.  He used to wrestle for RB.  There aren’t too many activities or clubs here at RB that draw Jimmy’s attention.  Mostly he bides his time studying and doing homework for all of...
Nick Rogoz, Co Editor-in-Chief
After winning the World Polo Championship for the 25th straight year, Nick had to give up being the Michael Jordan of the polo world after he and his horse broke a combined 10,756 bones in a freak skiing accident. Devastated, Nick tried to find something else to occupy himself. He tried acting, dancing, Johnny Depp...