Clarion takes on Agar.io!

Connor Robey, Micah Rookus, and Michael Fanta

The game is, Agar.io. The reason for reviewing it, there are good and bad things about it. Agar.io had its gain for fame from its so called “addictive gameplay.” It’s a free flash game that you can play simply by googling it.Without further ado, let us delve into Agar.io.

Michael Fanta:

Agar.io is a fun game. It plays very smoothly, with minimal input lag.  The controls are responsive, using a mouse to move, space bar to split yourself up, and “w” to shoot out small bits of yourself so you can go faster.  That’s critical, because the goal of the game is to become bigger than anyone else.  That’s right, there’s other people.  Not only are there small bits of cells that you can pick up, but there are other cells that are real people.  Eating them, however, is very hard.  Whoever is bigger can eat the smaller person, and when your mass starts out at 10, getting to 10,000 is very hard, but that’s what makes the game so fun.  

You can be many different skins and colors.  The way you change your skin is actually very simple.  All you must do is type in the name of the person you want to be.  There are limits, but you can be lots of presidents and presidential candidates, like Donald Trump or Barack Obama.  There are also lots of historical figures, and other random skins.  You can also be a color, but that seems to be random.

Agar.io has four game modes.  They all have a decent amount of variation, but it’s not like you’re playing a different game when you play a different mode.  The four modes are free-for-all, experimental, party, and teams.  Free-for-all is every man for themselves.  Teams are where certain colors team up, so basically red vs. blue.  Experimental has ideas and resources that have not been implemented into the other modes.  Party is the mess around mode. It’s a place where there are way more bits of cells to make you bigger much faster.  Free-for-all feels the most fun, as it is the most competitive and the most rewarding.  The others are fun, but free-for-all really stands out. Agar.io is a fun game to play, and one I see people playing somewhat consistently for a very long time. I wouldn’t be surprised if this game’s longevity starts to wither away after a while.

8.5/10 Stars 

Micah Rookus:

There are good and bad things about the game Agar.io. Let’s start with the good. One of the most appealing aspects of Agar.io is the fact that there are lots of skins that you can use, like Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Mars, USA, and the USSR. For example, type in Obama as your nickname, and there’s a picture of Barack Obama on your cell! Type in doge, and there is your doge. There are many other skins of popular characters from everywhere imaginable.

Agar.io is simply a bunch of “cells” moving around in a petri dish. Of course, like every game, there is strategy. You can’t just sit next to the biggest cell  in the game and expect him not to eat you.The larger you get the slower you get. So, obviously the game is easy to play, but what else is good about this extremely addictive game?

Another great thing about the game is that you start small and get bigger and bigger, creating a goal. On the right side of the screen there is a leader board of the top ten players in your server. I have only been in the to ten a few times, but I still strive to be there. The top ten is a list listing the biggest cells in the server. The goal of the game is to get to the first place spot and stay there as long as you can.

Another thing that makes the game great is the fact that you have unlimited turns. You could keep dying and dying but you can always restart. If you do good and use good strategy, you can go forever and never stop.

There are not many bad things about this game. One of the few bad factors include lags. One time I was playing the game, and I was doing amazing. A giant doge was after me, and I had over 1000 points. The game lagged, and I got eaten by this doge. It was extremely infuriating.

Another negative thing about the game is that you can type anything you want for your nickname.This means that any child who logs on to the game could see some cuss word on an opponent’s cell. Not good. So in a way, the game is not kid friendly.

9.5/10 Stars

Connor Robey:

Unlike the other two delightful staff reporters in this review, I come here with the perspective of someone who has never played the game before. I avoided this game for a long time, regardless of the absolute explosion of fame it was getting thanks to the internet. Now, I regret avoiding it for so long.

The atmosphere is very appealing. You had simple welcoming colors along with any custom skins in the vicinity. The cells can also be different colors, like red, blue, green, etc.  It’s simplistic to navigate, yet effective all the same.  Overall, a very welcoming presentation.

On better computers, lag is something that doesn’t need to be worried about. However, on older computers or a laptop, lag can occur. It really depends on the quality of your computer. The game play in Agar.io is incredibly smooth and responsive.  You can control movement with the mouse, and use the space bar to split your cell, and w to get rid of a bit of your mass. You can split by using the space bar to help out with surviving the chaos that is this game.  The controls of Agar.io are very simple and as such are slightly challenging to write about. From the little that is done in terms of game play, Agar.io gets a home run in that field.

The game, being a free game, really is as addicting as people had claimed it to be. I found myself playing for a solid hour before stopping. Now, I know that doesn’t sound like much, but

before you go calling me a filthy casual know that video games are my life. For a game this simple, an hour is a lot. Regardless, for a first impression, Agar.io really drives the ball home.

9/10 Stars 

About the Writers
Connor Robey, Staff Reporter

Connor Patrick Robey. A simple name, but one that will go down in legend as the first man to ever find the secrets of the Illuminati. A man who the prophecy dictates, will turn to the side of evil and bring fire and brimstone to humanity. But until that fateful day, oblivion arrives, he has decided to spend most of his time making a fool of himself and being WAY too extroverted. You know what? This sounds like the plot of an animated film. (Hey Pixar! Get on this!) Anyway, Connor’s other hobbies include injecting a rare pepe, going to the Paul Blart Flesh Mall, and the unpredictable and unstoppable power of the 360noscope. Unfortunately, the power is too much for Connor, and is slowly eating at his soul. This is what will cause Connor to turn to evil! 

Connor Robey is a sophomore and this is his first year at Clarion. He is really excited for this experience. He is involved in Improv club, the fall play, Anime club, and anything else related to acting. You can contact me at [email protected]

Micah Rookus, Staff reporter

Micah Rookus is a fan of beans, snowboarding, and going to the Flesh Mall with his friends. Some of his main friends are Hans, Franz, Arnold S., and the Loch Ness Monster. Every day he spends his time either at home, jumping on the trampoline, or running with Forest Gump.

At school, Micah spends his time writing articles about sports, such as curling, sword fighting or bullfighting. Micah is a student at RBHS. His favorite foods include tacos, italian beef sandwiches, chili dogs, shrimp, and a poppyseed swiss cheese and turkey sandwich covered in butter… healthy. To contact this amazing human being, email [email protected]

Michael Fanta, Staff Reporter
Before you see Michael’s bio, you will see his terrible picture.  Why are all of his pictures so bad?  Who knows?   The camera gods are never kind to him… but that’s not what you came for.  You came to read his bio to see if it would help you write yours.  Or, you’re just looking...
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Clarion takes on Agar.io!”

1. Mustafa Syed on October 21st, 2015 12:12 pm

@Micah Rookus

I don’t think that the lag is from the game itself, it was probably some internet problem you were having.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  2. Micah rookus on October 14th, 2016 6:15 am

I really think this article reads into the problems that we have here in our society. I wish Donald and Hillary would make arguments about topics as important as these. This article has changed my life for the better, and I hope that it changed yours too. Thank you for giving me a reason to live.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Clarion takes on Agar.io!