Make a splash, make a difference: RBHS Polar Plunge

Polar+Plunge+participants+
Polar Plunge participants

Polar Plunge participants

Jill Musil

Jill Musil

Polar Plunge participants

Joy Greco, Staff Reporter

The RBHS Polar Plunge took place Saturday, February 18. Students “polar plunged” into chilly Lake Michigan in order to raise money for Special Olympics Illinois.

“Plungers get sponsored to jump into Lake Michigan to raise money for Special Olympics Illinois. This money directly benefits our athletes at RB because it pays for things like basketball tournaments, track meets, state championships, etc, which are free for our athletes due to these funds,” said social studies teacher Jill Musil.

Musil runs the Polar Plunge along with social studies teacher John Fields.

A great deal of money was raised for an even greater cause. Participants worked hard to achieve their acquired goals.

“We’ve come close to our goal of $2,000 as a team. The rest of the Plungers at the beach on Feb 18 raised a total of $77,086, and the ‘Super Plungers’ [who plunge once an hour for 24 hours straight] raised $148,195,” said Musil.

This event brings students together for a great cause and also an exciting experience.

“The most rewarding aspect is knowing you’re doing something fun and crazy for a good cause. It’s also great for ‘bragging rights,’ but the overall wonderfulness of it all is that so many people gather together to be ridiculous and try something crazy all to benefit those with intellectual disabilities,” said Musil.

Joy Greco, Media Editor

After years of study leading to her perfect scores on the O.W.L exam and the N.E.W.T at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Joy Greco was granted Ph.Ds in transfiguration, charms, divination, and potions. As a truly exceptional wizard, Joy works alongside her brave and very hot husband, Ron Weasely who revolutionized the Ministry of Magic after defeating Voldemort alongside Harry Potter. After using the death spell on Hermione, who definitely stole her true love Ron from her, Joy could never be happier. Guess she just wasn’t nearly as smart or as stunning as Joy. She is also a close friend to Harry Potter and is the Godmother to Harry and Ginny Potter’s eldest son, James. Aside from being one of the most famous wizards alive and always being busy working in the Ministry of Magic, Joy’s passion for the RB Clarion allows her to fly on her broomstick to Riverside Brookfield High School every day at 9:55am to work for the school newspaper. In addition to all that, Joy is on the varsity volleyball team and is in the Madrigal Singers choir group. Joy is a third year Clarion member and is the program’s media/awards editor. She loves everything about Clarion and is beyond excited for what the upcoming year holds! If you need to contact her for any reason, please email her at [email protected]