Cross Country Qualifies for State

Girls+Cross+Country+takes+a+team+photo+before+Sectionals+
Girls Cross Country takes a team photo before Sectionals

Tim Buckley, Staff Reporter

On October 28, the RBHS and Girls Cross Country competed at the IHSA (Illinois High School Association) 2A Sectional race at Kress Creek, West Chicago. The five lowest team scores advance to the State competition.

“We are always seen as the favorite in our sectional,” said the Boys team Head Coach Larry Forberg. “But that doesn’t matter, I always tell the boys, you gotta run the races.”

The Boys team competed with Illiana Christian (2nd-112 points),  St. Francis (3rd- 124 points), and Hinsdale South (4th-162 points). The Bulldogs only had one runner in the Top 5 finishers, senior Jacob Wardzala, who finished in 4th with a 16:00.4  3 mile race.

“He’s a great kid, I know he gave up his first love [baseball] in order to get faster for the season,” said Forberg. “I know the younger guys look up to him, he’s a great role model for the future of the program.”

Other Bulldog top finishers include senior Connor O’Brien (9th), senior Jack Sagan (11th), senior Jason Noel (16th), and senior Ryan Hahn (17th). With junior Chris Magno (55th) and junior David Keen (67th), rounding up the Bulldogs at their sectional meet.

“I’m seriously impressed with how the boys ran. They ran against some of the top teams and came out on top,” said Forberg. “I’m proud to be the coach of this great group of guys.”

The Girls team also competed at the 2A sectional at Kress Creek. Under first year Head Coach Blair Jensen, they competed against Wheaton Academy (1st- 77 points), Lemont (3rd- 122 points) and Glenbard South (4th- 140 points).

Riverside Brookfield and Wheaton Academy finished in the top 5 with the same amount of points. However, Wheaton Academy won the Kress Creek Sectional.

“We finished with the same amount of points (77) as Wheaton Academy but the IHSA breaks ties with the 6th runner. It just happened to be that their 6th runner was a little faster than ours,” Jensen said.

Top Runners for the Girls at Sectionals include junior Nadia Kaczmarz (2nd), senior Hailey Jurgens (4th), junior Tara Janney (5th), junior Cora Lutes (31st), junior Melissa Oliveira-Liz (35th), junior Niela Callanan (44th), and freshman Tess Bruno (56th).

Both the Boys and Girls teams have officially qualified for the IHSA State Competition at Detweiller Park, Peoria. Both teams will compete on November 4. The Girls run at 11:00am and Boys run at 12:00pm.

“We’re ready,” said Jensen. “We just gotta bring the intensity.”

Tim Buckley, Staff Reporter

Tim Buckley, a senior, is very excited for the year ahead. This is the first time in his 17 year life experience when he finally leaves his personal landfill that they call “Tim’s Room”. While he spends so much time in his room that it now has its own postal code, you may find Tim on the RB Football Field, baking the in constant heat. Or you can hear him complaining about why there isn’t any snow in September, and why it has to be 90 degrees during a game. Tim’s long term goal for the future is to become the first teacher at RB to teach AP Underwater Basket Weaving, as well as his pride and joy, AP Existential Crisis. Tim is a first year reporter for the Clarion and is excited for the year! If you must contact me in anyway, email me at [email protected]