Congressman Chuy García visits RB

Seymone Russell

Congressman García speaks with RB Principal, Dr. Hector Freytas in the atrium.

Claire Harrison, Editor

On Monday, August 26, 2019, Congressman Jesús “Chuy” García paid his first visit to Riverside Brookfield High School. García represents Illinois’ Congressional fourth district and has since 2019.

Before being elected to the House of Representatives, García served on the Cook County Board of Commissioners, Illinois Senate, and the Chicago City Council. 

García’s visit to RB began with a warm welcome at Door A from the staff and administration. Immediately following the welcome, Dr. Héctor Freytas, the school’s principals, lead the group to the Faculty Cafeteria for a breakfast reception. Lots of teachers and administrators had the opportunity to speak personally with García and his staff.

After the reception had wrapped up, García and his staff were given a walk-through tour of RB, focusing on the music department, RBTV, and sports venues. 

The visit’s next stop was John Fields’, a history teacher, third-period sociology class. Students were free to ask questions on any topic regarding the Congressman. Question subjects ranged from partisan politics and the impact of politics on personal life to big money in politics.

Fields thought the visit was an overall success.

I thought it was great that the students got to meet Congressman García and learn a little bit about him and what he does. I truly believe that the students got a lot out of his conversation and several students asked really thoughtful questions,” said Fields.

A student in Fields’ sociology class, Brianna Murray, commented on the matter.

I thought it was super awesome that he decided to take the time to come visit the school, and, in particular, my sociology class, since many of us are seniors and will be voting in the upcoming presidential election,” said Murray. After his visit, several people discussed wanting to participate in politics in the future.”

Additionally, some students were pulled out of class to accompany García and his staff on the tour of the school. These select students were able to provide inside insight into what happens in the school. 

The visit’s closing occurred in the auditorium where there was a meet-and-greet with select students and staff.