RB implements new civics requirement for government course

Student+picking+up+garbage+and+disposing+of+it.+Photo+by+Azucena+Gama.+

Azucena Gama

Student picking up garbage and disposing of it. Photo by Azucena Gama.

Ollie Howorth, Staff Reporter

Riverside Brookfield High School’s government class has a new service-learning requirement that needs to be completed in order to get credit for the class. The service can be completed through community services and/or volunteering work.

The requirement caused mixed reactions amongst the students after being implemented due to them not previously knowing that it was a requirement. 

“I don’t know what this requirement offers in terms of education but I think it should be an optional requirement to take due to the amount of other important things offered at RB,” said sophomore Jack Niekrasz. 

Most students did not take this new development lightly, due to them not seeing much purpose in it. 

“I think that it’s a little bit of an inconvenience to have to take it as a required thing due to it taking up time. This requirement pretty much means that I have to spend more time doing work for the class even though I may be busy. I don’t think this should be required due to the lack of use in everyday situations. I don’t think that it will be handled well by the other students,” said sophomore Kenny Fedorski.

While there exist a lot of negative reactions, some students find that the work can be useful. 

“I have mixed feelings about the extra work, but it could be useful in today’s world. At the same time, I also see that there are some flaws if it’s been implemented. But overall, I think that the work could help later in life and build more skills, so I do see why it’s a requirement,” said sophomore Angelo Hernandez.