Social-emotional learning survey sent out to students at RBHS

Art by William Kraft

Morgan Anderson, Staff Reporter

Early in the school year, social-emotional surveys were sent out to the students of Riverside Brookfield High School to identify services that should be available throughout the school year. This was in an effort to ensure that students had the support they needed, especially after last year’s disrupted school schedule. One of the leading voices in this effort was Ms. Pushpa Winbush, a School Psychologist.

The survey was run through Satchel Pulse, a software program meant to provide support to schools. The program offers various resources in addition to the survey given to RB students.

“We reached out to them last year, and they gave us an overview, like a training, about what it all offers, and then based on what we saw and the funding that we got, we felt that this was a good fit,” Winbush said

Previously, students would be recommended by their teachers, parents, or peers for certain social-emotional services that could benefit their school experience. Other students would recommend themselves and receive help from the school.

“… it was only when they came to us or when the names were forwarded to us that we figured out which students needed help,” Winbush said.

However, since many students were learning remotely last school year due to the pandemic, the help that the school was able to provide was limited. Many students didn’t interact with their teachers or peers the way that was typical in a normal year, preventing them from being recommended for help or being comfortable talking to the administration about what they needed.

“We figured that given what we had been through last year and it being a big transition to this year, why not figure out a way in which we can be more proactive about figuring which students need help based on the student responses?” Winbush said

Currently, the social workers and psychologists are planning a meeting in the next few weeks to discuss the responses to the survey. The results will determine the variety of services that should be offered to students at RBHS throughout the year.

“We usually run small groups. We have done groups in the past for anxiety, depression, loss, and grief, so the only difference this year is we will base it off of the information that we get,” Winbush said

So far, the response has been positive as students filled out the questions about themselves and what might benefit them. The hope is that this will increase the positive learning environment that RBHS hopes to maintain.

“I think that it is a very good way to provide support to those students based on the needs that we see,” stated Winbush.