Staff Profile
Dylan Drews
Dylan Drews
Staff Reporter

Larson kicks off season as RB’s second female football player

Senior Niamh Larson is the second female athlete to join the Riverside Brookfield High School football team. She joined the team this year as a kicker.

Her love for football began when she was little when she played with friends and family. This has led her to change the standard of who can join the RB football team.

“I’ve wanted to play football since I was a kid. Every year of high school, I’ve always thought of being the kicker, but I’ve always backed out, and I realized it’s my senior year, so it’s my last chance,” Larson said.

Larson was able to fulfill that goal, but there were still some personal concerns leading up to it.

“I was really nervous, and I didn’t know if I should really do it or not and what the coaches would say or think or how people would react,” Larson said.

Larson being the only female in an all-male team caused some concern. Since something like this has only occurred once before at RB, Larson wasn’t sure how it would all play out. However, the team had a welcoming response.

“They were extremely excited to get her out there, and, from the first day, she was proving that she definitely belongs on the team,” head coach Samuel Styler said.

The football team welcomed her with open arms.

“I think all the guys on the team really have a good reaction and treat me really well, and I really feel comfortable with all of them. They don’t make me feel like I’m different from any of them,” Larson said.

The players on the team have provided Larson with a lot of support, helping her reach her full potential and achieve one of her longtime dreams.

“She’s been part of the team since she stepped out there, so she’s been great. Our philosophy of the program is anyone that wants to come out, we’re gonna try to find a place for you if you’re willing to put the work in,” Styler said.

Larson’s dedication and work has highlighted her capability on the field. Larson is very excited for this upcoming football season, which she now gets to be a part of.

“I’m hoping me becoming a female football player will start to look normalized, and more girls will gain the courage to do the things they enjoy,” Larson said.

Correction: The article previously stated that Larson was the first female football player at RB. It was brought to our attention that she is the second, and the article has been changed to reflect that information

View Comments (1)