New coach, same desire for 13-14 girls swimming

Cecelia Ringo

Senior Sydney Veon swimming freestyle.

Jeremy Baartman, Staff Reporter

Alum Katy Burris has returned to water. Not as a swimmer like when she was in high school but, as coach of the Lady Bulldogs.  She will be assisting long time coach Heather Mathis during the season. Senior Dana Callanan especially liked the coaching addition.

“I really like her. She is good balance to Heather,” Callanan said.

Callanan is a captain this year along with Senior Sydney Veon, who made State in the 100 breast last season with a time of 1:10.38. Together they lead a team filled with talent and skill. Along with them, sophomore Keri Burke, juniors Nicole Capone and Lucia Adami, and senior Andrea Carusoe come back as a strong set of leaders for the team. Both Veon and Callanan believe that the team can win conference, and place in the top three in sectionals.

Veon said, “I think we can send our 200 medley relay to state and two individuals also.”

Their first home meet is versus Oak Park River Forest on September 17th. This will be a good test for them early in the season. Expectations will be high as usual, for the hard-working and determined girls swim team. Burris is a great addition to the team, and will bring past swimming experience, combined with a sense of both fun and hard-work.

Combined with the talent of the swimmers they have. It is going to be a great season for this group of girls.