What do you do with 40 extra minutes on Thursdays?

Brittany Brewer, Staff Reporter

Here at RB, students are lucky enough to get an extra 40 minutes to themselves every Thursday morning.  Classes start at 8:40 a.m. instead of the typical 8 a.m. start.  This is otherwise known as “Late Start.”  Students have this late start because teachers are meeting with their departments until 8:30.

Up until this year, Late Start began at 8:30 rather than 8:40.  Although the change was only by ten minutes, that ten minutes can be a huge treat for a high school student who has a hard time getting up in the morning. Some students choose to sleep with their extra time. Others like to get coffee or breakfast with their friends if they can.

Senior Jimmy Landahl is one of those students who gets breakfast.  “I go to Dunkin Donuts. I mean, everyone does it,” he said.  While it’s true that you can see a fair number of students on Thursday with coffee or bags from Dunkin Donuts, is that really what everyone does?

Junior Christian Verdin and Sophomore Nikki Sinnott said they like to take full advantage of the extra time they have to sleep.  Verdin, and surely everyone else could agree, wishes it was even longer.  Although no one really realizes significance with the change, they aren’t going to complain. It allows them to sleep just a few more minutes and that’s all they need.

As for the freshmen, late start is actually brand new for them. Coming into RB, late start is actually really exciting. It’s probably one of the things that really makes you feel like you’re finally in high school. Freshman Kenzie Murphy and his friend Dylan Ouadi agree that, although it should be later, late start is fantastic. The two of them, along with another Freshman Jacob Angio, enjoy using the extra time they have to sleep as well.

Since late start is an actual later start to the day, some Thursdays tend to feel a bit more sluggish than others. However some people disagree, saying that it in fact makes their day go by faster. It just throws them off at some point of their day.

Now it’s time to tell us how you spend your extra time. How do you spend your Thursday mornings?

How do you spend your Late Start mornings?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Brittany Brewer, Staff Reporter

Brittany is curious. She can’t wait to see what her writing abilities will bring to the Clarion, yet she’s curious to see what the Clarion will bring to her as well. Although she could be known as a workaholic, she still makes time for friends, family and school. Her two jobs keep her on her toes and have taught her more than she thought she’d learn from them in the past year. She lives for the simple things in life and never fails to find the bright side to life. When she can, she loves to free her mind and open it onto a piece of paper.

It’s senior year, and she’s never been on this staff before. But there’s a first time for everything, right?

Brittany can be contacted at [email protected]