Staff Profile
Szymon Stoklosa
Szymon Stoklosa
Staff Reporter

Romance and comedy in No Strings Attached

Is it possible to be friends with benefits without developing feelings for one another? In the new movie No Strings Attached, two long time friends decide to experiment and become friends with benefits. The two establish rules so that the arrangement doesn’t get complicated or so that neither of them start having romantic feelings towards each other. This romantic comedy is not only quirky and funny but also has a hint of real romance.

The two main characters, Emma (Natalie Portman) and Adam (Ashton Kutcher), first meet at camp when they were teenagers. They begin to have short encounters after that. They see each other again five years later at a frat party and then again in the city were they exchange phone numbers. After Adam finds out that his father is dating his ex girlfriend (Ophelia Lovibond) he goes out for a night with his friends to release stress and ends up calling Emma. He ends up going to her apartment where they decide to begin their no strings attached relationship. Will they be able to maintain their relationship without falling in love?

Emma is stubborn and confident that she won’t develop feelings for Adam and will be able to maintain their relationship. Even from the beginning of the film you can see that Adam still has lingering feelings for Emma and will try his hardest to get her to fall in love with him.

The movie is an overall success in making you laugh and can definitely be charming at times. However the story is a bit predictable and doesn’t leave much to the imagination. It has the classic plot line of a romantic comedy, but I would still recommend the movie if you’re looking for a good laugh.