Staff Profile
Vivian Marina Piña
Vivian Marina Piña
Editor-in-Chief

Budget, Skinkis contract discussed at 9/11 board meeting

RB Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Tim McGinnis explains the school budget at the August board meeting.  The 2012-2013 budget was approved during the September meeting.
Courtesy of RBTV
RB Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Tim McGinnis explains the school budget at the August board meeting. The 2012-2013 budget was approved during the September meeting.

On Tuesday September 11, RB’s Board of Education met to discuss the budget for the upcoming year, as well as staff salaries and goals for the current year.

The board cut 9.3 FTE from the budget for 2012-2013.  1.0 FTE (full-time equivalency) represents one full staff member’s schedule, even though that 1.0 may be split over different teachers.  This cut, combined with contractually mandated certified staff raises, meant that staff salaries increased 6.5% between 2011-12 and 2012-13.  Health and dental insurance rates actually went down 0.5% as a result of the school’s joining a health insurance co-op during 2011-12.

Based on the projected budget, the school will operate with a $278,000 deficit by the end of the year, leaving $5.8 million dollars in its fund balance, representing approximately 29% of the operating expenses for the year.  However, as it is still early in the year, that number could change as tax revenues have yet to come in for 2012-13.  Once the school receives that money, the board will have a clearer idea as to whether or not the yearly budget will end in a deficit.  Last year, the board projected a $920,000 deficit, but ended with a $330,000 surplus due to tax appeals that never materialized.   If RB does end up with a deficit, the board will have to take money from the school’s operating fund, which essentially acts as a savings account for the building.

The board also discussed goals for the upcoming school year.  One goal discussed included keeping staff numbers steady and avoiding the large number of layoffs made last year where sixteen teachers were initially RIF’d (reduced in force).

Also in the meeting, the board renewed Superintendent Dr. Kevin Skinkis’s contract for another year, confirming that he will be working at RB until at least June 30th, 2015.

“I want to thank the Board of Education for the confidence they have placed in me to have additional time to lead our District forward,” said Skinkis. “I have found my first year as District 208 Superintendant both rewarding and challenging.  I am looking forward to continuing to work with the students, staff, parents, community and Board to maintain and grow the excellent school that Riverside Brookfield is.”

The next board meeting will take place on Tuesday October 9th at 7 PM. It is broadcast live on RBTV and members of the community are always welcome to attend the meeting in person.