Telethon raises over $19,000 for RBEF grants

Courtesy of RBTV

RB student Trent Ketchmark performs the magic act that won him recognition at Homecoming.

Courtesy of RBTV

Jeffrey Krikie, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, November 12, 2011, the RBTV and the RBEF hosted the annual telethon in the auditorium at RBHS. It ran from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. The telethon started in 1987 and has been giving grants to schools since then. The telethon was broadcast on RBTV and they gave away gift certificates, graduation packages and other prizes.  

Joanne Kosey, ten year Director of RBEF, hosted the Telethon along with Gary Prokes who has been supervising the telethon since its beginning. Entertainment included performances from the cheerleaders, local RB talent, and several outside groups.  It also featured an appearance from Assistant Principal John Passarella as a guest host.

“My personal goal was [to raise] 18,000 dollars,” said Kosey.

There were many groups that volunteered to perform. The Telethon raised over 19,000 dollars. All the donations are going to provide education at schools for students, staff and faculty at RBHS. Over 100 students, teachers and parents volunteered to help out with the telethon.

Kosey, Wendy Snyder, (a graduate from RBHS) and Fine Arts Department Chair Nick Gehl were on stage from 5 to 9 p.m. People at the phone bank took calls for anyone who was making a donation.