SEASON PREVIEW: Talented girls volleyballers returning

The Bulldogs prepare for their game against Glenbard South.

Cameron Kritikos, Sports Manager

After losing in the regional semifinals to Queen of Peace last season, the girl’s volleyball team has high expectations for the 2011 campaign. With many returning contributors from last year’s squad, including Alleigh Vandemerkt, Elena Duve, and Meghan Orgler, the Bulldogs expect to improve on their 19-17 record from the previous season.

Vandemerkt, returning as a three-year starter and team captain, has amassed 876 assists and 105 aces in her illustrious career.

With the bulk of last year’s team gone, it’ll be key for the seniors to step up in a big way and lead this team. This includes Vandemerkt, who will run the Bulldog’s 6-2 offense with Junior Lizzie Hawk, along with middle hitter Orgler, and Molly Chaney at outside and opposite hitter.

Head Coach Dan Bonarigo is also excited about the addition of many versatile juniors including Hannah Claywell, Brittany JnoBaptiste and Emma Schander. Claywell, a starter on last year’s sophomore team, is looking forward to being part of such a talented group as this year’s team.

“I’m really excited about the upcoming season. We’ve put in so much time already and we hope to win the regional title,” said Claywell.

The Dogs are going to be in a fight all season to claim the Metro Suburban Conference title. They are trying to fend off teams like Illiana Christian, Timothy Christian, and Glenbard South.

Bonarigo, who’s entering his fourth year as head coach, has set a list of concrete goals he expects the program to achieve this season. He wants the team to compete in every single game and give themselves a chance to win. Bonarigo is striving for yet another regional title, along with competing for RB’s first IHSA Sectional Championship in 23 years.

It will be interesting to see if the Bulldogs can make best of the talented roster they have, win their 3rd regional title in the past 4 years, and continue the proud tradition of RB volleyball.

Cameron Kritikos, Sports Editor

Cameron Kritikos is a senior, and returning member of the Clarion staff. He is looking forward to another great year as a member of this wonderful newspaper....