Staff Profile
Jacob Rogoz
Jacob Rogoz
Staff Reporter

Eastwood, Adams, and Timberlake make Trouble with the Curve a home run

Baseball was always in the lime light while his daughter was in the back light. Instead of looking for dolls to play with, she looked for men who could swing their hips and hit a ball 400ft. Having a scout for a father she never had the childhood she deserved. She couldn’t share her feelings; she had to see if a pitcher had the right foot placement in his delivery.  A relationship between the two was never there. Now flash forward twenty five years. The once famed scout is now in the twilight of his career whereas his daughter is finally enjoying the success in her life that she had worked her whole life for. She wants what is best for him and likewise her father for her, but can twenty five years of not talking mend a relationship that was never really there?

Trouble with the Curve is the heart warming drama of a baseball scout (Clint Eastwood) past his prime taking his daughter (Amy Adams) for one last recruiting trip, not only for him to scout the next Chipper Jones, but for her to patch up a broken relationship that had been masked her entire life. Gus (Eastwood) is as stubborn as a mule and he won’t change for anyone and quite frankly no one can change him. His old fashioned ways though are out of the loop now and with a new wave of technology coming into the game, he has to show that he still has what it takes to get the job done as a major league scout. This one last recruiting trip will make or break his career and nothing can get in his way of working his magic. When Mickey (Adams) finds out her father is falling behind in his work though, she takes the time out of her incredibly busy work schedule to see him and to see if one last trip with her father can send him back into the mainstream of the baseball world.

There were many facets of Trouble with the Curve that anyone would enjoy such as incredible setting, superb story line, and that overall “wow factor” that movie makes you feel. Although there were numerous great components to the movie, the most amazing part of the picture that stood out to me was the incredible cast. Eastwood, to put in in simple terms, was classic Eastwood. His raw, old fashioned attitude was definitely illustrated in this role. The film was not a comedy by any means but with remarkable one liners throughout, he kept you laughing the entire time. With unintentional humor in Gus’ repertoire, beyond his rough exterior, there was also a softer side, deep beneath the surface and Eastwood did an amazing job of revealing that attribute to the audience. Along with Eastwood there was also an astonishing ensemble of supporting roles that behind Eastwood, could possibly get under appreciated. The relationship between Adams and Timberlake was fantastic and definitely deserves quality recognition. Alongside Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake’s natural bond, there were also great roles such as John Goodman as Gus’ best friend and longtime partner and Matthew Lillard as Phillip, the new internet-ran scout trying to steal Eastwood’s job. Trouble with the Curve, In large part, was such a great film for many reasons but the movie and overall story would not have been the same without the stunning ensemble.

Director Robert Lorenz (2003’s Mystic River) and writer Randy Brown worked as such a great team that I think anyone could appreciate. The two should definitely not be surprised to be seeking some Oscar nominations in the near future. The composition of the movie was fantastic and the overall story was too and that is in large part to the hard work and dedication that both Lorenz and Brown put into this film.

Trouble with the Curve is certainly not the most exciting movie I have ever seen but it has that undeniable quality that any audience looks for in a film and without a doubt is a must see.