Better late than never; Telethon returns February 23

Traditionally, RBTV's telethon airs during October.  This year, it's better late than never as the telethon returns this weekend on Saturday from 1-9 p.m.

Courtesy of RBTV

Traditionally, RBTV's telethon airs during October. This year, it's better late than never as the telethon returns this weekend on Saturday from 1-9 p.m.

Lauren Grimaldi, Staff Reporter

RBTV will hold its annual telethon on February 23 . The telethon has been a recurring event in the history of RB.  The first telethon aired in 1989.

“There have been 20 different fundraising events [in the past], most of which were telethons,” said RBTV teacher Gary Prokes.

Proceeds from the telethon go to the Riverside Brookfield Education Foundation (RBEF).

“The money raised goes towards student and faculty grants,” Prokes said.  “In the spring the foundation has a grant where teachers and students can apply to the foundation to help offset costs of educational enrichment opportunities.”

This year, the telethon will feature new hosts and a new incentive for donation.

“At different levels of contribution, your name will be displayed on a light up marquee outside of the school,” Prokes said.

People who give fifty dollars or more will get this new reward as thanks for their contribution.

The telethon will run from 1 – 9 p.m..  The planned host list is as follows:

1 – 3:  English teachers Wendy Cassens, Daniel o’ Rourke, and Applied Arts Department chair Pattie Farlee.

3 – 5:  Principal Pamela Bylsma, and Special Education teachers Colleen Ireland and Michelle Bauer.

5 – 7:  RBEF President JoAnne Kosey, Fine Arts teacher Blair Jensen,  and World Language teacher Deirdre Sullivan

7 – 9:  Science teacher Dave Monti and two RB alumni

Entertainment throughout the show will include the improv club Shenanigans, magic from last year’s RB’s Got Talent winner TJ Ketchmark, a choir performance led by Fine Arts Department Chair Diane Marelli, and much more.

The telethon will stream live at www.rbtv.tv.  It will also be shown locally on Comcast channel 16 and statewide on AT&T U-Verse channel 99.

1 Comment

One Response to “Better late than never; Telethon returns February 23”

1. Sheila Daily on February 21st, 2013 10:45 am

New at this year’s Telethon is The TownConnection $1,000 Challenge!

To raise money for the RB while adding members to TownConnection, this free community website will donate $500 plus $5 for every new member in the RB community who joins the site — up to an additional $1,000 — until the end of the month.

If you aren’t a member of the site, be sure to join now (it’s free) in Riverside, North Riverside, Brookfield, Lyons, LaGrange and Broadview and a donation will automatically be made to help fund educational grants. If you are already one of the 500 members of TownConnection, now’s the time to talk it up to get friends and neighbors joining for that $5 donation that will be made.

Stay in the loop with the TownConnection website and newsletter updates in your town. It’s fun, friendly and free! Register now to share, shop and swap online with others in your community at TownConnection.com

Sheila and Steve Daily, Riverside
    TownConnection.com
    Corporate Sponsor of RBEF
    RBHS parents

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)